When the going gets tough....the tough gets going, right? Well what about those days where you just don't feel "tough"? You feel overwhelmed, overworked, and you just don't seem to know what to do in order to make your day productive. Here's 10 things you can do to boost your productivity and regain control.
1. Get adequate sleep - An adequate amount of sleep is essential in order for you to be most productive. Now, what's "adequate" will be different for each individual. Sometimes, too much sleep can make you feel groggy and that's a feeling that may last all day no matter how much coffee or energy drinks you consume. Not enough sleep can definitely make you cranky and cause personality shifts. Listen to your body and get the amount of sleep that's best for you.
2. Exercise in the morning - Exercising in the morning can definitely give you an energy boost that can last all day long. Take a quick 10 minute jog, a quick run on the treadmill, do some jumping jacks or run up and down some stairs a few times. The more energy you have, the more productive you are. Just this one little shift can make a huge impact on making you feel rejuvenated throughout the day.
3. Eat a healthy breakfast - Start your day off right with a healthy breakfast, one that's filling. Also, drink plenty of water throughout the day. Keep your body well fed and very well hydrated. Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day (or 4 bottled waters).
4. Plan your day - Take time in the morning (or better yet, the night before) to plan your day. If you know what's ahead of you and have your tasks written out and prioritized, there's less room for non-productivity. It's best to get the most difficult or time consuming tasks out of the way early, as momentum will sometimes diminish as your day goes along.
5. Do something you've been putting off - Do at least one thing that you know needs to get done before it turns into a problem or disaster. What have you been putting off for a long time? Getting it done will give you a huge feeling of relief and you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment. Subconsciously, you'll want to recreate this feeling of accomplishment, and you'll start completing more and more things you've been putting off. Now you're building momentum!
6. Get ahead - Now that you've cleared some tasks off of your list, why not get ahead on some tasks! What's coming up that has a deadline? Even if it's not until next month. Get it out of the way early. You will have extra time on your hands. You'll also want to reward yourself for getting it done so far in advance.
7. Take breaks as needed - Don't wear yourself out. If you start to feel overwhelmed or tired, get up and take a break. Take a short walk around the building or down the hall to get your body moving and blood flowing. When you get back and ready to finish the task at hand, sit down and take about 10 long, deep breaths. Now you're rejuvenated!
8. Stay focused - Don't let distractions throw you off track. Sometimes you can get distracted and never come back to the task you were working on. If you start something and don't complete it, that's just valuable time that went down the drain. Shut off your email and other alerts until you're done. Take control and don't let anyone or anything throw you off track. If something comes up that's important, ask yourself "Can this spare to wait until I'm finished the task I'm working on?" (Now, if you're in a customer service (or similar) position where you must take calls or emails as they come in, this doesn't apply to you. If you have a boss breathing down your neck to get their task done, this doesn't apply to you either. )
9. Delegate whenever possible - If there's anything on your list that you can assign to someone else, do so. Don't get too hung up on being a perfectionist and the need to always having things done your way. If you delegate a task to someone, explain yourself clearly and give precise instructions. You'll be surprised at what someone else can do for you; the same as, or better than you would have done yourself.
10. Keep a positive attitude - If you keep a positive attitude no matter what challenges you're facing, you remain in control. You can overcome difficulties much faster and easier. Keep in mind the results you will get out of completing the task and working through all of the challenges and obstacles that may get in your way. Know that you are bigger than the obstacle(s) and your results are worth you pushing through the challenges.
These are just some of the things that can boost your productivity and keep you motivated on any given day. Feel free to comment below if you found this article helpful.
Shift from Confusion to Clarity - Get the FREE PDF Guide
Danise Jarrett is a Master Certified Life and Success Coach, experienced in the Law of Attraction and success principles. When reading her posts, you'll be motivated towards creating and living the life you truly deserve!