"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily." ~Zig Ziglar
Here's 7 Ways to Boost Daily Momentum
1. Gratitude - As soon as you rise out of bed in the morning, be grateful for waking up and all of your blessings. Be even more grateful for the things to come.
2. Affirmations - Stating positive phrases or affirmations is a great way to start your day. This could be even more effective if you say them while looking in the mirror and using "You" instead of "I". You know how motivated and confident you feel when someone gives you compliments? Well, you can stand in the mirror and give yourself all the compliments you want. This is a powerful exercise.
3. Monitor your "self talk" - If you have a habit of thinking negative thoughts and talking negatively to yourself, it's time to get it under control. We all have negative thoughts and internal dialogue. It's something that may never go away; but you can control and reduce it. First, you have to be consciously aware of it. Monitor it, and when you find yourself having these types of thoughts, banish them immediately. One of the things I like to do when I find myself having negative thoughts or internal dialogue is, I will start naming things that I love. You don't have to do this aloud, you can just think of all the things you are grateful for and all of the things you love. Example, you can turn a thought like "I'm having such a bad day" into "I am so grateful to be alive on this beautiful day, I love my life!".
4. Keep looking ahead - Remember that whatever happened in the past is in the past. All we can do is learn from our past. If there's anything you've been dwelling on or if there are any grudges you've been holding, let them go now. You have my permission and support. It serves you no justice to hold grudges. They just drain your energy. Ask yourself what you have learned from past experiences and take only the learnings with you and leave the feelings and grudges behind. You have a whole new, bright future ahead of you and each day is the start of a new future.
5. Have a conversation with someone motivating - You know that one person who always seems to motivate and inspire you whenever you talk to them? The optimistic person who's glass is always half full? Call them up! A talk with someone like this may be just what you need to get you through your day.
6. Read motivational quotes, stories or books - Find something inspiring to read. Keep motivational quotes posted at your desk. Read motivational articles, stories or books during breaks throughout the day. If you're following me on social media, you will be inspired and motivated by my posts (my page links are at the top of this website).
7. Look at motivational pictures - Maybe pictures of your children, spouse or pets. Have an inspiring or motivational screensaver on your phone. Flip your wallet open and stare at these pictures for a minute. Looking at pictures of your family can sometimes give you that extra push you need to get through the day, as for many of us, they're one of the reasons you work so hard at what you do. You can also look at pictures of other things that motivate you - travel destinations, flowers and nature, items you'd like to buy, etc. One more tip, when looking at pictures of things you want, imagine that you already have them and hold onto that feeling of having them.
Bonus Tip: Smile every day, no matter what!
When the going gets tough....the tough gets going, right? Well what about those days where you just don't feel "tough"? You feel overwhelmed, overworked, and you just don't seem to know what to do in order to make your day productive. Here's 10 things you can do to boost your productivity and regain control.
1. Get adequate sleep - An adequate amount of sleep is essential in order for you to be most productive. Now, what's "adequate" will be different for each individual. Sometimes, too much sleep can make you feel groggy and that's a feeling that may last all day no matter how much coffee or energy drinks you consume. Not enough sleep can definitely make you cranky and cause personality shifts. Listen to your body and get the amount of sleep that's best for you.
2. Exercise in the morning - Exercising in the morning can definitely give you an energy boost that can last all day long. Take a quick 10 minute jog, a quick run on the treadmill, do some jumping jacks or run up and down some stairs a few times. The more energy you have, the more productive you are. Just this one little shift can make a huge impact on making you feel rejuvenated throughout the day.
3. Eat a healthy breakfast - Start your day off right with a healthy breakfast, one that's filling. Also, drink plenty of water throughout the day. Keep your body well fed and very well hydrated. Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day (or 4 bottled waters).
4. Plan your day - Take time in the morning (or better yet, the night before) to plan your day. If you know what's ahead of you and have your tasks written out and prioritized, there's less room for non-productivity. It's best to get the most difficult or time consuming tasks out of the way early, as momentum will sometimes diminish as your day goes along.
5. Do something you've been putting off - Do at least one thing that you know needs to get done before it turns into a problem or disaster. What have you been putting off for a long time? Getting it done will give you a huge feeling of relief and you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment. Subconsciously, you'll want to recreate this feeling of accomplishment, and you'll start completing more and more things you've been putting off. Now you're building momentum!
6. Get ahead - Now that you've cleared some tasks off of your list, why not get ahead on some tasks! What's coming up that has a deadline? Even if it's not until next month. Get it out of the way early. You will have extra time on your hands. You'll also want to reward yourself for getting it done so far in advance.
7. Take breaks as needed - Don't wear yourself out. If you start to feel overwhelmed or tired, get up and take a break. Take a short walk around the building or down the hall to get your body moving and blood flowing. When you get back and ready to finish the task at hand, sit down and take about 10 long, deep breaths. Now you're rejuvenated!
8. Stay focused - Don't let distractions throw you off track. Sometimes you can get distracted and never come back to the task you were working on. If you start something and don't complete it, that's just valuable time that went down the drain. Shut off your email and other alerts until you're done. Take control and don't let anyone or anything throw you off track. If something comes up that's important, ask yourself "Can this spare to wait until I'm finished the task I'm working on?" (Now, if you're in a customer service (or similar) position where you must take calls or emails as they come in, this doesn't apply to you. If you have a boss breathing down your neck to get their task done, this doesn't apply to you either. )
9. Delegate whenever possible - If there's anything on your list that you can assign to someone else, do so. Don't get too hung up on being a perfectionist and the need to always having things done your way. If you delegate a task to someone, explain yourself clearly and give precise instructions. You'll be surprised at what someone else can do for you; the same as, or better than you would have done yourself.
10. Keep a positive attitude - If you keep a positive attitude no matter what challenges you're facing, you remain in control. You can overcome difficulties much faster and easier. Keep in mind the results you will get out of completing the task and working through all of the challenges and obstacles that may get in your way. Know that you are bigger than the obstacle(s) and your results are worth you pushing through the challenges.
These are just some of the things that can boost your productivity and keep you motivated on any given day. Feel free to comment below if you found this article helpful.
Shift from Confusion to Clarity - Get the FREE PDF Guide
Danise Jarrett is a Master Certified Life and Success Coach, experienced in the Law of Attraction and success principles. When reading her posts, you'll be motivated towards creating and living the life you truly deserve!